What is an asset based loan? An asset-based business line…
McAllen-Texas Hard Money Loans
Borrowers can never be too careful when applying for a hard money loan. While hard money loans are seen as the hassle-free way to access money for investment purposes, investors should be sure to choose the right lender.
Questions to Ask Hard Money Lenders
Though there are many honest money lenders in the industry, investors must exercise caution when applying for a loan. It is important that you do your due diligence to find a lender that you can trust. Even though someone looks good on paper or online, this doesn’t mean that they’re the lender for you. Consider the following questions as you look for a lender in McAllen, Texas:
- Does the lender work with owner-occupied properties?
Borrowers that are aiming to use their hard money loan for their own residence need to ask this question. Though most hard lenders avoid giving out loans for owner-occupied properties, there may be a few exceptions.
- How are borrowers expected to repay the loan?
As there are various reasons one may obtain a hard money loan, not all lenders have the same stipulations for repayment. Will you be expected to provide interest-only payments throughout the term? Are no payments expected? Is the full balance to be paid in a final balloon payment?
The answers to these questions may be the deciding factor when choosing one lender over the other.
- What are the interest rates?
Some lenders hide the details of their interest rates. If the information isn’t clearly displayed, be sure to ask the lender to clarify their interest rates. Once you have a tally of all the various interest rates from different lenders, you’ll be able to take the cheapest available option.
- What are the additional fees?
While some lenders won’t have additional fees, many do. Getting a clear answer to this question will allow you to make the most informed decision.
- What experience do you have?
With hard money lending, it’s best to work with a lender that is experienced. This is especially true for borrowers that are new to hard money loans. The more experienced the lender, the better an asset they will be as you navigate the lending process.
- What is your broker license ID?
Hard money lenders in McAllen, Texas have to be licensed by their state in order to lend money. Only do business with someone that is properly licensed.
Watch Out for Loan Sharks
New borrowers are often the ones that fall prey to bad lenders or loan sharks. What may seem like a good deal with a loan shark can easily turn into an investor’s worst nightmare. Avoid these scammers by watching out for the following tell-tale signs:
- Illegal interest rates: Don’t be fooled into thinking that all lenders have the same interest rates. While it comes as no surprise that hard money lenders charge exceptionally high interest, those operating illegally will charge rates that are beyond the usury limits. Review your state’s limits for interest rates if you believe a lender is charging too much for interest.
- Withholding information: Some lenders make a habit of not being completely honest with borrowers. While this isn’t always in indication of a loan shark, a lender that is actively withholding information likely isn’t the best person to work with.
- Practicing without a license: Though some loan sharks may have their license, it is a good practice to check a lender’s qualifications against the real estate bureau in your state. If you find their information on the website, you’ll at least know that they are operating legally.
While the process of getting a hard money loan is often hassle-free, you’ll have to find the right lender first. If you’re ready to start taking advantage of this financing option, what better time to begin than today?