A hard money loan is a form of an asset-based loan that allows a borrower to access financing and use his or her property to secure the debt. Hard money loans are not commonly provided by the conventional financial institutions; instead, they are offered by private companies and investors. A hard money loan ensures that a borrower is able to access a loan within the shortest duration without having to have a good credit score. Hard money lenders offer loan services based on the value of the property used as collateral without necessarily considering the borrower’s likelihood to repay their loans. This is because in case there is default in loan repayment, they will sell the property used as collateral to recover their finances and the accrued interest. Institutions that offer hard money loans are more concerned with the value of the property used as collateral and not the borrower’s financial status or credit history.
What are the benefits of a hard money loan?
Hard money loans come with various benefits that allow borrowers to consider them a source of financing when accessing loans from conventional financial institutions becomes inconvenient. Some of the benefits of hard money loans are:
- They provide a quick way of accessing emergency loans: Since the lender of such loans focuses on the value of the collateral only, borrowers are able to access the traditional loans quicker than they would elsewhere. Once you have developed a good working relationship with a lender, you will have your hard money loans approved even in hours. This makes hard money loans convenient for individuals seeking emergency loans without having to go through the lengthy processes that characterize borrowing from conventional financial institutions.
- Hard money loans are also more flexible compared to ordinary loans: Hard money lenders do not subject borrowers to rigid procedures. This is because providers of hard money loans assess each borrower individually by examining the property he or she is using as collateral. Borrowers also have a chance to negotiate for flexible repayment schedules depending on the value of the item they are using as collateral.
- Quick approval of loans: Lenders who offer hard money loans are only concerned with the value of the property used as collateral. They will not need to access a borrower’s credit score, his/her financial stability, or his/her ability to repay the loan. This means that hard money loans’ approval is quick and convenient for the borrower. In some cases, approval can take a few hours unlike loans from financial institutions that might take days.
- They do not limit the amount of loan available to borrowers: Many providers of hard money loans will be willing to approve any loan amount as long as they are convinced the asset used as collateral has that value. This ensures that borrowers can get as much money as they need without the limits that exist in the financial institutions.
What are the limitations of a hard money loan?
Although hard money loans are gaining popularity, especially among real estate developers, they do have a few limitations that might make them unattractive. Some of these limitations include:
- High-interest rates: Hard money loans attract significantly higher interest rates than those charged by conventional financial institutions. Interest rates on hard money loans are usually in double digits. The high interest rates charged might make the loans an unattractive source of quick financing or some people.
- Lenders might take advantage of the terms of the loan: Since lenders are concerned with the value of the property you use as collateral, they are likely to sell it in case you default in repayment. The terms of the loan do not restrain the lender from selling your property if you are unable to make repayments as agreed.
If you need a lender who can provide you with hard money loans in NYC, you can contact our agents. To apply for our reliable and convenient lending services, call us or visit our offices.